View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

This might sound odd and nitpicky, but I promise that it's not: try to avoid capitalizing commands like LS and LYNX. They're somewhat jarring to read. Part of entering any new group is learning its culture. Commands are lowercased, and you will see others reference commands and other parts of the OS like this:
ls(1)

This tells you that if you need to learn more, you can issue:
$ man 1 ls
to read the man page for that item. The forum is nice enough to have BB code linking to the online man pages. The standard item(man section) format also helps make certain things unambiguous. For example, if you had a question about sysctl, the reader might be confused as to whether you're talking about sysctl(3) or sysctl(8). It also helps others get up to speed with what you're talking about (hey - we can't always know everything all the time ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrus View Post
My next try will be to use ifconfig and to do it manually but Ive never done it before so I may be back here asking questions.
If you have a wired connection, you can do what jggimi suggested:
# dhclient <NIC>
but once you know that it works, you should then issue the following:
# echo "dhcp" >> /etc/hostname.<NIC>
as you will then get an IP address at boot time for future reboots automatically.

jggimi is also right in saying wifi is more difficult.

If you could supply a dmesg(8) log here, that would be ideal. Or if you could guess at your NIC (the dmesg(8) output usually gives some clues, like a MAC address) that will help too.