View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2010
New User

Default CPU power saving done correctly

Hey! I installed OpenBSD 4.8 on my laptop (Asus K50AB) and among the things I'm interested in is this power saving feature. I did not manage to make it work but before reporting to the devs, I'd like to know if I've done everything correctly, because I have no idea whether my hardware is not supported (yet) and it should not work or I missed something from the documentation (and web discussions).

So, I understand that all I need to do is to configure the apmd_flags option in rc.conf, which I set to "-C" (economic). Other than that, I disabled the daemon and tried to lower hw.setperf manually. Nothing worked (checked the cpu frequency with $ apm), as far as I understand, I should have seen an apm* device in dmesg.

My questions are:
- based on this information, is my hardware power-saving unsupported by the system?
- could I try something else that might work? (like enabling some option at boot time, building a custom configured kernel - with something like "asus acpi", changing a certain sysconfig option or enabling something like hal)

Notes:
- if this tells you something, I used to set this option on FreeBSD, months ago, for CPU frequency scaling to work: hint.acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1". It worked without touching it in one version but not in a newer one (I forgot the numbers, I think 8.0 release was working and stable was broken, needing that tweak).
- I did not yet tried to check for the availability of the following option in config, which I just found while I'm not on obsd: acpiasus. I have the feeling that this is not the trick, though.