View Single Post
Old 21st November 2016
More noise than signal

Some additional thoughts, based on your requirement to use Ethernet over radio. They are in no particular order.
  • If you want a server to be happy, attach it to wired networks only. Client systems can withstand to be on wireless, but not servers. Do what ever you need to do to move servers off of your wireless network segments.
  • When shopping for low-cost managed switches, look for "802.1Q" in the specifications. This is the VLAN standard. If you also want to do managed trunking, look also for "802.3ad" in the specification, as this is the Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP) standard. I am using a managed switch that does not support LACP, but does support simple "round robin" static trunking.
  • In a VLAN environment, standard Ethernet is considered "untagged", and Ethernet frames that include VLAN headers are considered "tagged." When you configure a managed switch, you assign VLANs to ports, and whether the port will use tagged or untagged Ethernet. An untagged port would be dedicated to a specific VLAN, and that VLAN becomes a "physical" LAN if you connect the port to an unmanaged switch or to a WiFi bridge, for example.
  • I do not have any VLAN-capable WiFi access point devices. I don't need them, since I do not operate multiple WiFi networks at this time.

Last edited by jggimi; 21st November 2016 at 11:02 PM. Reason: static trunking clarified