Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 4th July 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
You mentioned both "advanced image processing tools" and "PDF manipulation tools" both of which are would be used primarily in artistic type environments (video editing labs, advertising firms, etc.).
Fair enough. The image processing I'm talking about are high bit-depth photomicrographs. The PDF files come about from using the scientific reference literature, which is exclusively PDF. Also, many of my grant applications require quite some massaging of the PDF files to fit with the submission packages (which do not run on BSD, BTW).
Quote:
I also thought that the highest level of scientific computing ... usually in huge superclusters - to do the heavy number crunching their disciplines required (think of where UNIX was first developed and evolved).
That's right, but that is a very small part of what scientists of any flavor use computers for.

Unix was sold initially as a text-processing system for Bell Labs on the powerful PDP-7. The tools for that purpose are really very good, and I still use them.