View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2010
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
How about selecting No, since you now boot using Windows' loader?
But don't try TrueCrypt until both Windows and FreeBSD are booting successfully!

Have you tried using the NT loader to dual-boot yet?

I'm not 100% sure I understand the way TrueCrypt works, but I think the idea is to have Windows' loader (later replaced with TrueCrypt's) on the primary master (default boot device) and FreeBSD's boot0 on the second disk, and use Windows' NT loader to both boot Windows and load FreeBSD's boot0, which in turn boots FreeBSD.
Thanks for your reply: appreciated

From what I understand the XP bootloader shall be used for XP only, because, as it says in the screenshot, "you can later on hit escape to use a different boot loader such as Grub (which installed in a partition which I also don't understand) to boot the other operating system".

Your suggestion makes sense to use the NT-bootloader, I will test this; thanks very much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
When I come to think about it, you don't really need boot0cfg since you'll only have FreeBSD on the second disk. So use # fdisk -B ad1 from a livefs. Change ad1 if you need to. But this was probably done by your step 2.
I had to think about this for a long time to even understand it

But even if you have the boot0 on HDD2, how can you then boot? I mean, assume PC boots, boot loader on HDD1 loads XP with truecrypt. Suppose I hit escape to bypass the TC-bootloader, nothing will happen? The computer doesn't know that there is a boot0 on HDD2 without a boot manager? True?

Sorry for asking stupid questions but I just don't understand it.