View Single Post
Old 29th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
Why is an OpenBSD public OS?? Why not the OpenBSD users have a closed type of club and enjoy your OS and please don't ask for Adobe reader, Skype,...,etc.
We have never asked for Adobe reader and Skype. People who tried to bring up "issue" of Skype on OpenBSD mailing lists were repeatedly flamed. Adobe reader version which used to work via Linux emulation (probably not after the latest changes in Linux emulation layer) has been obsolete (version 7) and useless. The only thing I can think off that it will be useful is filling PDF forms and even that can be done with open source readers now or more radically using things like pdftk which has just been committed.

We have in-deed asked about the Flash on Adobe web-site and were ignored much like FreeBSD for instance. We have not asked about the Flash to be able to watch YouTube but because it is unfortunately some times needed to manage consumer class routers.

One of current developers has offered in the past to sign NDA with Opera. This is the first and the last case of such an offer by any OpenBSD affiliated person. For the record he was not developer at that time. He was promptly dismissed by Opera spoke person. For the record Opera does NOT run on current via Linux emulation after most recent changes the emulation.

So, yes thank you for your suggestion. I think it is actually very, very good. I am starting a process of founding closed OpenBSD user club and only the members of that club can use OpenBSD from now on. I already contacted Theo and Bob about that matter and you can expect soon that OpenBSD cvs server goes down

Last edited by Oko; 29th May 2011 at 06:22 PM.