View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Dc View Post
If you know any more, could you please elaborate on that? I'm not quite sure what you mean.
I suspect he didn't read the manpage which in this case does not mention any reliance upon additional firmware. Other wireless chipsets do require additional firmware (like one I use...).
Quote:
If you have any advice on how to do this, I will gladly listen.
If you have a MS-DOS formatted USB drive, you can mount it & copy dmesg(8) output saved to a file to it. Information on how to mount a MS-DOS formatted device can be seen in examples in the mount(8) manpage & Section 14.17 of the FAQ.
Quote:
Most of it is gobbly-gook to me...
One of the collateral things a complete dmesg(8) would have provided is what version of OpenBSD was installed. This seems relevant at the moment for two reasons:
  • Quote:
    mainbus0 at root
    bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 09/23/09, SMBIOS rev. 2.4 @ 0xe8130 C35 entries
    bios0: vendor INSYDE version "2.10" date 09/23/09
    bios0: TOSHIBA Satellite L305
    ...which indicates that this laptop was new last fall.
  • Quote:
    urtw0 at uhub1 port 6 "Realtek RTL8187B rev 2.00/2.00 addr 2
    urtw0: RTL8187B rev E, address 00:24:d2:dd:e6:0d
    The commit history for urtw(4) can be found at the following:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&w=2&r=1&s=urtw&q=b

It is not entirely clear that revision E is supported.

I can only assume that this is OpenBSD 4.6-release installed. If this indeed is the case, there are a few commits which have been made since the 4.6-release branch was tagged. Perhaps installing a snapshot of the latest development version might help, but this is only a remote chance. Discussion on OpenBSD's versions can be found in Section 5.1 of the FAQ.
Quote:
...dhclient should work without me having to configure dhclient.conf...
Additional questions:
  • What is being used as the AP?
  • Have you tried configuring with smaller incremental steps? What happens if you assign a fixed IP address?
  • Can you provide the output of ifconfig(8)?