View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2008
Port Guard

I should explain the way our network is set up. GM controls the router as well as the domain controller which acts as our DNS server as well. If we set the PC's to use something other then that DNS server employees are no longer able to log into the domain or access some of the sites GM provides us to use. It won't be till about 2010 when GM relinquies control of the router in which case I will have to provide a suitable replacement for it. Till then, I have to come up with another way of filtering the sites that people go to. When I started to do this a couple years ago, and then was stopped by management, I had read about squid and dansguardian. I set it up on a system that well really isn't doing anything else and it was only going to effect a smaller amount of users. We have a total of 35 users. 12 with direct acces to PC's, the rest using dump terminals to access one of two terminal servers. I know it's sounds like a strange set up and well it is, but I have to work with what I have. I agree that once I am able to control the router or firewall I no longer will need dansguardian.

Phoenix, I'll have to look into the pcket filtering rules so that I do not stop any sites that are actually needed. Thanks for that.