#2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th June 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikij View Post
I'm new to NetBSD (and this forum).
Welcome!
Quote:
I want to make sure I don't override the MBR when doing this.
Chapter 2 of the NetBSD Guide should be the first document studied. Chapter 3 is an example of stepping through the various installation steps. Following selection of language & keyboard type, the install script prompts for how NetBSD is to be installed. This is where you can be dropped into an fdisk(8) interface for editing the MBR partitions.
Quote:
When the installation is done, I expect to boot into Ubuntu and run update-grub, which should properly detect the NetBSD partition...
I have never used grub2 as a bootloader, but from memory the general form of what needs to be added to grub's menu.lst is something akin to the following:
Code:
title NetBSD
root (hd0,6)
chainloader +1
There are two obvious things you should do before proceeding:
  • Back-up any & all important data from all operating systems installed which is critical to retain.
  • Research the specifics of grub's syntax further. I believe the pertinent manual for grub2 can be found at the following:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html
I don't regularly use NetBSD, so I cannot give definitive answers to your questions. However, spending time in the search engine of your choice will likely provide more information.

Good luck.

Last edited by ocicat; 11th June 2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: add clarity