Thread: turntables
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2009
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddierod View Post
I took time off from my audiophilia (sounds nasty) to raise a family. I've just started back in the last 5 years and haven't got to the cleaning machines yet.
If you *really* want to get back into it, look at the Linkwitz loudspeakers (www.linkwitzlab.com). I've heard his flagship (and met Siegfried), and they are very, very good. I prefer electrostatics in spite of their many flaws and quirks, but these are pretty darned good.
Quote:
I've tried oversampling with MP3s and although it sounds a little better it still just doesn't sound right.
Agreed -- the mp3 format is terrible. I've taken some Red Book CDs and converted them to mp3 format. The difference, even on computer speakers, is obvious and not for the better.
Quote:
I also second the Sumiko Blue Point as that was my first audiophile cartridge on my Linn Basik (which I miss and if anyone has one they want to get rid of let me know).
I'd temper that by two things. First, what tone arm is being used? The sense I get is that the Technics table is not particularly a high-end product, so the Blue Point compliance may not match the tonearm all that well. A traditional moving magnet might work better. The other, of course, is the budget issue.
Quote:
You can fine some nice stuff there and on ebay if you look closely, I got a Music Hall MMF 2.2 that list for $450 for $30, because it was listed as an Audio Technica.
Well done! If timing is not an issue, sure, do the scavenging.