View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th November 2009
Ghost in the Shell

Wink Thank you BSDfan666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
The ability to control fan speed is not currently supported outside of using the CPU scaling features, this is because it is very chipset specific and even possibly dangerous.

There may be a generic way to do it via ACPI on some systems, but as if now fan control is not supported by OpenBSD.

Constantine A. Murenin (cnst@) had sent in a patch for lm(4) along with a proposal for a generic sysctl-based interface earlier this year.. but it went mostly unnoticed and it was never committed, consider sending a reply to that email, or perhaps one to him directly ...

I remember there being a paper from him about it, but I can't recall where it is.. perhaps on the papers page.
Alright, thanks a lot for the information I know where the papers page is so I'll take a look later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
Sorry, hope that helps..
It is somewhat dissapointing but it does help in the sense that I'm glad you told me this before I attempted to try to write or seriously research a shell script using sensord and the adt(4) driver. That would have been waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666
Don't worry about spelling, I had no problems reading it.
I've just gotten into the bad habit of polishing up and fixing my posts on forums after I post them by editing them but this forum does not indulge that bad habit since as a new user I can't edit posts (it is more austere here).

Last edited by Angevin; 20th November 2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: fix quotation