View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2016
Arp Constable

Default Planning 5.9 -> 6.0 upgrade

The 5.9 -> 6.0 upgrade procedure looks less involved than prior releases. In my case it looks like just the w^x amendment to the fstab and moving the lpd spooling directories. The only firmware I use is for radeon video.

In the past I always did a new install and restored my /home directory from a backup tar.gz. My experience upgrading is based strictly on following current.

My question is upgrading the packages. The two options I'm mulling over are
1) Generate list of index packages. Backup /home and configuration. Upgrade base. Disable xdm. Reboot into console. Delete all packages and install from the list.
2) Generate list of index packages. Backup /home and configuration. Disable xdm, reboot into console, and try to upgrade the packages.

I have seen prior posts with problems upgrading packages between releases. Is it worth trying?

Will the firmware update with the new base install or should I delete radeondrm-firmware-20150927 and reinstall to be safe? The upgrade guide indicates that only the iwn firmware is an issue.

A second question: Is there any value to reformating the disk in regards bad sectors, etc.?

Last edited by shep; 28th August 2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: grammer