View Single Post
Old 5th March 2014
ISO Quartermaster

I have a Nook color, that my wife got as some sort of deal with her credit card. Ebooks aren't as convenient, IMHO, in many ways--it's harder to go back and forth. Most smart phones have a Kindle app, and you can try reading an ebook with calibre in open source. There might be a Linux, kindle app as well, though I doubt there's a BSD one.

My own opinion is that they're OK for novels--but then, when you forget something and want to flip back to read it again 50-100 pages after first reading it, it can be a pain. I've even read Terry Pratchett on an ebook--the footnotes were hyperlinks, so it was pretty quick to hit the footnote, read it, and go back--this was on the Nook application on a smartphone.

If you use a smartphone, it almost certainly has a Kindle app. Only having used the Nook Color, not sure what else you can do with a Kindle save read books--on the Nook color, you can do tablet-y stuff, but I don't like tablets, so I've only used it for reading. If I'm going to watch multimedia, I either want more portability, e.g., a smartphone, or more screen, e.g. a computer, even an 11 inch screen.