View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th November 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstef View Post
So, if I install the 2013/11/18 snapshot from a mirror and at the same time I need to install a package from the same snapshot repository I have high probability I can't due the bad major… It's correct?
As intended, one should be able to install a snapshot, & immediately install snapshot packages from a mirror, & everything should be synchronized & work. Unfortunately, this does not always work -- & for the reasons already outlined.

The -current branch is where development occurs, & there are times when changes need to take place in core libraries which will require changes be made to the packages also found at the mirror sites. There will be times when a snapshot of the base system will not be synchronized with the available packages found at the mirrors.

If one encounters this problem, there are two ways to solve it:
  • Manually build the unsynchronized packages locally.
  • Wait until the source code to the base system & ports tree stabilizes. One can monitor the timestamps on the packages and/or one can monitor the project's mailing lists for discussions by the developers themselves.

Personally, monitoring the mailing lists is preferrable. Simply looking at files' timestamps is living in a void.
I recognize that this may seem cumbersome especially for newcomers to OpenBSD, but this is the reality of using code in a CVS branch under active development.

I also have empathy for your needs of specific packages for Chinese character input. We have few on this site who have had the same requirements, so few here will be able to help with the specifics of these particular packages. What I have outlined is the reality of living at the head of CVS. These realities will not likely change, but as stated before, if the source to both the base system & available packages are in synchronization, then one should be able, in most situations, to install a snapshot of the base system followed by installing synchronized packages with minimal pain.

You may find that living in the world of -current snapshots to be overly complicated. Library mismatch problems should be temporary -- being solved in the next mass build of snapshot packages, but users of -current snapshots should be able to deal with these problems if they arise again. If you do not find this an acceptable reality, there are other members of the *BSD family which can equally serve your needs.