View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2008
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleunix View Post
...What is the reason that you have not been able to include versions equipped with gnome and kde in a single cd?...
You are actually the first person to ask this question, so I'd not considered combining window managers before:
  1. These two LiveDVD images you are asking about are already very large, each already too large to fit on a CD. They may already be a burden for many people to download, regardless which compression technology they use. Combining GUIs would only make this a heavier burden on people who have limited bandwidth or who pay for Internet service by the byte or packet.
  2. All but the "basic" images have .xsession/.xinitrc files for root and user. I would either have to switch from XDM to GDM/KDM to allow a user to choose a window manager, or, I would have to set up manual scripting. I'm uninterested in doing either, unless there are requests to do so from many users.
  3. Because KDE and Gnome have so much stuff included, both of these images have so many files in their filesystem they exceeded the capability of cdboot(8) to boot them directly. I had to implement a fairly complex work around for these two ISO images. I do not know if my circumvention would be possible if I doubled the number of files in these already oversaturated ISO images.
  4. The various ISOs I offer were never intended to be used for window manager selection. Rather, they were intended for those coming from other Unix or Unix-like workstation operating systems who might want to try OpenBSD as a workstation, and allow them to see how OpenBSD operations using a GUI they were already familiar with.
  5. Why just combine KDE and Gnome? What about the other window managers I've configured? Shouldn't I cram them all into a single ISO? Wait .... wait .... OpenBSD has more than 40 different window managers. I could create an image that has them all! Of course, then it would be a LiveHardDrive. (Just kidding. )
Quote:
...I have trouble to startx graphical or console interface into virtualbox. In pratice the process of execution it's stop...
You are unable to run in [C]onsole mode? I've never heard of that happening, though I suppose that Sun's Virtualbox may just have trouble with OpenBSD. I recommend you try a different virtual machine: I've had great luck with Qemu. Avoid the kqemu accelerator if your Host OS is Windows. Using the default video will give you a limited resolution of 800x600, if you use qemu with the -std-vga option, you'll get a larger resolution. 1600x1200, if I remember correctly.
Quote:
...I find difficult to follow the mailing list...
You should be able to subscribe by sending a "subscribe" e-mail to the userid "livecd-request" at my domain. If that is failing, please let me know what kind of bounce message you are getting. You can send me your e-mail address via Private Message here and I can manually subscribe you, if necessary.

Last edited by jggimi; 29th May 2008 at 12:04 PM.