View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th April 2010
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAR View Post
Only 1 dual core cpu is configured
Your dmesg is of the uniprocessor kernel, so you will only see cpu0 listed.
Quote:
8GB ECC ram is installed
The amd64 kernel will only address 3GB of it, including video RAM, unless BIGMEM is enabled. Doing so requires a custom kernel -- but this flag is disabled by default because larger memory is not production-ready, and is not recommended except for developers working on memory management.
Quote:
...I can take a look at the BSD.MP, any suggestions would be appreciated as I only run SMP and Quad motherboards (Tyan S4881).
The ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) used for install should have discovered multiple CPUs, and should have installed the MP kernel (bsd.mp) as /bsd, and the uniprocessor kernel (bsd) as /bsd.sp.
Quote:
Will send this dmesg out to OpenBSD folks, but believe I will get more help on these forums (from past experience with OpenBSD folks) Keep in mind I bought the 3 CD set to support these guys.
Several things that may help, regarding sending anything to the "OpenBSD folks".
  1. You need not continue to try to install 4.6-release, which was built in July of last year. You will want to install a recent snapshot, which are already well ahead of 4.7-release, coming out in May.
  2. Don't send a dmesg to the dmesg@ address, which is only used as a library by developers of varying configuration combinations. Since you are interested in support, submit a -current dmesg from a recent snapshot (inline, not as an attachment) to the misc@ mailing list, asking for assistance.
  3. Be extremely clear in exactly what the problem is you are having. I've been having a great deal of trouble reading your posts and trying to determine your situation. Your dmesg below has ACPI enabled, and your problem description of a disabled ACPI environment reads like operator error to me, but I am unclear on exactly what is or is not happening for you now.
  4. You will get much further by phrasing your questions to misc@ in the form of "what do I need to understand to move forward? What else would you recommend I try?"