View Single Post
Old 29th October 2018
Port Guard

OpenBSDE 6.4 + XFCE, X wouldn't start for users but did for root after xserver patch - mostly recovered

Here's how I installed 6.4 with XFCE and mostly recovered after the xserver patch broke a few things

- Installed OpenBSD 6.4 with XFCE late this past week, not using xenodm, starting XFCE via command startxfce4, two local users (one in wheel group, one not - I'm using this installation to learn OpenBSD)
- XFCE started from console via startxfce4 command and worked as expected for root and each user, installed a few packages
- After patch, XFCE opened and worked as expected only for root. For both wheel and non-wheel users, XFCE and wm's would not launch as described in OpenBSD Misc mailing list thread titled "can't start X in 6.4"
- Enabled and started xenodm, rebooted
- XFCE still launched and ran normally for root, signing in from xenodm sign in page
- Users launched in fvwm from xenodm sign in page. From console, if I ran startxfce4, panels would appear, but XFCE wallpaper didn't and windows were fvwm
- To each of /root, /home/UserInWheelGroup and /home/UserNotInWheelGroup, I used nano to create .xsession with command *startxfce4 [edited] exec startxfce4*, rebooted
- Now XFCE launches and runs normally for wheel and non-wheel users from xenodm sign in page
- Now can't sign in as root from xenodm sign in page. Is this normal? If so, fine (but how do I sign in as root, if I want to?) If not, then I still have to figure this bit out.

TKS

Sources
- RibaLinux instructions to install 6.0 with XFCE (but skipping some steps and adapting instructions to 6.4)
- OpenBSD Misc mailing list, thread titled "can't start X in 6.4". Theo said switch to xenodm.
- https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq11.html "The X Window system"
- Posts in this thread earlier than this one. Special thanks to jggimi in post 7.

Last edited by TheTKS; 29th October 2018 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Typo, clarification, correction