View Single Post
Old 10th March 2009
Spam Deminer

So the focus so far seems to be with securing outside communications. Since no OS can do much better than another in that position at the gateway, HTTPS fills the solution gap, being used for webmail, online banking, and other 'sensitive' communications.

But I think the really obvious point (to me anyway) isn't everything outside your network (which you cannot control), but rather everything inside your network. OpenBSD with PF can certainly provide a very secure firewall that, when properly configured, can be a very secure solution. Protecting your information on your "LAN" is just as important as protecting the communication of that information across the Internet.

The problem though, and I mean this with all due respect, is that you don't seem like a typical OpenBSD person. I don't want to scare you away, but unless you are interested in really getting involved with OpenBSD as an operating system, and not just a firewall platform, you may find life with OBSD a bit, well, abrasive.

If my assumption is correct, then what I would suggest is PFSense. While I regret that it runs on FreeBSD, it is a complete web-GUI-based PF firewall solution. It's good ole PF, dedicated to firewalling and intrusion detection, and you don't have to roll up your sleeves as much just to get to that point as you would with OpenBSD itself. And the GUI... Did I mention the GUI?

That being said, I certainly don't want to scare you off with that... OpenBSD is a fantastic OS and if you are willing to learn, it's willing to reward you.