View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th January 2009
Arp Constable

I tested BSD native and Linux Opera some time ago, before finally adapting Fx3 for general unix usage and SeaMonkey for Windows usage. I guess it's time to reevaluate that old friend called Opera, hehe. I spent last night testing out Links 2.2 in GUI mode. The largest problem I encountered was a lack of tabbed browsing and frames :-(. Today, I'll set to work on both versions of Opera and on Dillo, but don't expect much from Dillo (SSL, JS, Frames).

Midori, I've never tested, but who knows where the road may lead next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermaden View Post
Opera if you want the best browser, Midori (sometimes not stable) if you want small basic GTK2 + WebKit based browser.
I very much like WebKit, but stability is first priority. Opera and Konqueror actually, have always been my primary browsers for testing webpages - if Opera displays it wrong, but Mozilla doesn't; I know I've probably got a typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Then quit using that extension.
The extensions were added recently (couple months ago), the resource usage has however plagued me the entire time that I've used Fx3 under FreeBSD 7. The main issue occurs when running multimedia plugins or using many tabs; I reckon this could be caused by TabMix Plus, but it shouldn't be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
I've used Firefox since 1.5 and have never seen them. I know there were problems in v1.x, and a couple in 2.x, but those have been eliminated. The only memory problems in 3.x are those created by 3rd parties, ie, extension writers and not Firefox.
I have used Firefox since [at least] the early 1.x days when my best friend introduced me, and summery addicted me to tabs! The only problem I ever experienced back then was the "IE only, go fsck yourself in the corner" messages some sites would utilize. Even after Fx2, since I was heavily dissatisfied with it, I stayed on Fx1.5.x as long as possible; but never had serious performance issue in Fx2.

Across 2003~2004 to 2009, I have almost never used any extensions in Fx or any other browser (I don't believe they should be necessary to fully use a web browser). After using Fx3 for some months, I finally got sick of its theme and went in search of a new one (ironically, finding a Qute based one, similar to what I used up until 2007ish). While I was at it, I took a look around and found a few useful extensions.

After a bit of stress testing to see how the extensions changed browser performance (negligible) and stability, I finally adopted them as useful supplements (TabMix Plus provides some features, that should be in any tabbed browser). Performance remained the same, including the irksome burning of cpu cycles to the point that text fields barely become usable at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Just don't install 50 million extensions.. remove flash.. and.. yes.. restart your browser occasionally.
I am like a freak, I use Firefox with as few extensions as possible, and Vim with as few plugins as possible (the only plugins I use often, come with Vim!). I believe software should empower users to get more done, but not make them exercise that power just to get stuff done.

There are 3 things I hate to restart: computers, terminals, and web browsers. If it gets restarted, that means an upgrade is being done or I pushed the wrong button :-).

Quote:
Also; consider using less tabs.. 70 tabs? get real man.

What do you do after realizing that you have 70 tabs open?

At idle, I usually have {2,5} tabs, during active surfing {4,12}* tabs, while working through various forums it is not uncommon for me to have several dozen tabs open at one time. Heck, last time I was looking up some math topic, I ended up with about 16~22 tabs open during most of my reading. When I have a LOT of tabs open, I usually think that it's time to start picking and choose what I am gonna read, before I forget to sleep or the web browser gets any slower.

There is a screen shot of mine somewhere, showing Opera with SO MANY tabs open that there is little more visible in the tab bar, then little X's that can barely be clicked ;-)

Ok, so I expect a lot from software I use all the time....

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.