View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th June 2008
Arp Constable

Thanks for the links. It looks like I could set PKG_PATH to "snapshots" and use the pkg_add -u switch but will I need to update more than the installed packages (the base system and x-windows) to avoid breaking the system? In Slackware I tend to run about 280 packages on an XFCE desktop.

Any suggestions on how to setup and maintain a system as I did in OBSD 4.1? Basically when the mozilla team suggests that all users update to x.x.xx with the latest security updates and a popup windows tells me a new update is available I would like to update that package or know that it is not an issue in OBSD.

Off topic, but I wonder about the wisdom of abandoning package updates in -release. Granted Slackware only has to worry about i386 but some how a one man show finds time to provide security updates all the way back to the 8.1 release (about 6 years worth). OBSD just supports the last 2 releases spanning at most 1 and 1/2 years. I'm not suggesting all packages be updated - just those with security implications - after all security is OpenBSD's claim to fame.

Last edited by shep; 6th June 2008 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling