View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kla View Post
... i don't know why there must be TWO network cards for that.
One network interface is for your private network, the other network interface is to connect to your ISP's network:
{ISP network} -- [Router] --- {private network}
All routers, OpenBSD or not, have at least two network interfaces. Many have more.
Quote:
...My biggest problem is that i can't find understandable answer in any OpenBSD manual that is available to me.
You lack basic TCP/IP networking knowledge. This knowledge is required before you can successfully configure OpenBSD to act as a network router. When you decided to use OpenBSD, you became your own network administrator. The OpenBSD FAQ says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAQ 6.1
If you are a network administrator, and you are setting up routing protocols, if you are using your OpenBSD box as a router, if you need to go in depth into IP networking, you really need to read Understanding IP Addressing. This is an excellent document. "Understanding IP Addressing" contains fundamental knowledge to build upon when working with IP networks, especially when you deal with or are responsible for more than one network.
That document is detailed, and is a good reference, but it may not be applicable to the newbie administrator. If your command of English is good, you may get some value from:
  • Classful IP Addressing (pages 3-7)
  • Subnetting (pages 8-10)
  • Subnet Design Considerations (pages 11-18)
Better education, though, should be a basic, introductory document about TCP/IP networking, that is written in your native language.
Quote:
...But one manual that i've seen states that in order to configure network card one must write following:

inet IP-adress 255.255.255.0 NONE

And it doesn't mention wether it's for static or dynamic assignment of IP adress.
This it for assigning a static, unchanging IP address. The netmask of 255.255.255.0 is for a /24 subnet, which may or may not be what you need.
Quote:
Can someone please help me?
We don't know anything about your network requirements, or your network interfaces. Here are the steps you will need to know how to do, at minimum, to set up OpenBSD as a router for a private network.
  • Configure your external network interface for your ISP, as appropriate.
  • Configure your internal network interface, with a static, RFC 1918 address, for your private network.
  • Obtain your ISP's DNS server address(es). If your ISP connection is dynamic, you can obtain these address(es) from /etc/resolv.conf after connecting successfully to your ISP.
  • Configure your local network; if you plan to offer DHCP services to your local network, you will need to set up dhcpd.conf(5) and enable dhcpd in rc.conf.local(5). The DNS server addresses obtained from your ISP can be used in dhcpd.conf if you are offerihg DHCP services on your private network. If not, use the addresses in your static configurations.