View Single Post
Old 25th May 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Jacom Meuser responded to Oko's post on the mailing list, he said that OSSv4 is different from OSSv3.. which is implemented via ossaudio(3).

Having OSSv4 as a port would be problematic, it would have to be distributed as a kernel module.. unfortunately it would conflict with the other audio drivers, so users would have to disable them all prior to using it.. making their kernel unsupported by the OpenBSD developers.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=124321644617877&w=2

Personally, I don't think a OSSv4 port is needed.. the current audio framework and drivers work well, a bonus is that they've been audited along with the rest of the code base.. I'm really excited about the new sndio API, most of the major ports have already been modified to utilize it now, so this fulfils the mixing feature that many people mistakenly believe should be done in the kernel.

OpenBSD supports the LKM framework, kernel modules can be loaded.. securelevel must be <= 0 for it to work though, not sure what you mean about "linking modules before boot", it surely does no such thing.. but as said above, OSSv4 would conflict with the current audio drivers.
Even more interesting answer given by another developer
Alexander Ratchov

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=124323616306697&w=2

Personally, I also never thought porting OSSv4 was needed for OpenBSD. I thought we could benefit from few
extra driver but I do not think so any more based on Alexder's answer.

Same parts of the Jake's answer to me are interesting for NetBSD users. He talks little bit about your audio. Based upon his answer I believe that approach taken by NetBSD team to rewrite kernel support for audio for 6.0 is correct. Unfortunately he also noticed that NetBSD didn't bother even to look at his patches for NetBSD. So you guys have to look at mirror and not to blame anybody else for audio support for NetBSD.

Last edited by Oko; 25th May 2009 at 07:11 PM.