View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st June 2010
New User

I have this same problem when trying to boot the 4.7 release from i386/install47.iso.

Same chip (VT6420 SATA) and error (wdc_atapi_intr: warning: reading only 14 of 18 bytes) during boot. I'm not really clear on how to even post a dmesg of this issue because it hangs at this point, and does not continue booting like normal. If a dmesg included from 4.6 is still useful for something I can include that for reference (other than the error I think it looks mostly the same up to that point).

However, I have been running OpenBSD 4.6-Release and now I have updated to OpenBSD 4.6-Stable and both run relatively OK on my configuration. About once every couple months I was having some issue with the machine hanging, which I was hoping was resolved by something in 4.7. Failing to install that I decided my next best option was at least updating to 4.6-Stable, to see if perhaps one of those fixes covered my problem.

In regards to hardware listings (marcolino's post), I poked around a little and in pciide.c and there is an entry for it in the pciide_product_desc pciide_via_products structure:

{ PCI_PRODUCT_VIATECH_VT6420_SATA, /* VIA VT6420 SATA */
sata_chip_map
}

So I'm guessing just the usual standard in this case?