View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th February 2011
New User

Default Mounting/Reading Samsung USB drive

Hi All

Apologies up front for being a FreeBSD/Linux complete novice.... I'm I.T literate, and have a problem accessing a Samsung_S2 USB drive, that for the majority of time is connected to my Panasonic Tx-P42G20B TV, which I know formats this device when you pair the 2 together. It also does state that you will not be able to read it elsewhere..... therein lies my predicament...and challenge! :-)

I can see form the TV's system information/licence details, that it is FreeBSD with the possibility of the disk being UFS2. I have deduced that the USB picks up /dev/da0.. and have tried the following mount commands

mount -t UFS /dev/da0 /mnt/colin (n.b dir colin created with chown 777)
ERROR - Mount: /dev/da0 : Invalid argument

mount -t UFS2 /dev/da0 /mnt/colin
ERROR -

From a (not mine) similar thread ("mount_msdosfs /dev/da0: : Invalid argument"), I have seen replies requesting information output from certain commands, so ahead of any replies here, please see below to the output of those commands. Whilst this thread gave me some decent background, it didn't help me solve "my" problem" and seemed to stop posting last December, which is why I've started this new thread.

Can anyone help in being able to successfully mount the disk and getting at the data, which I believe is on the first partition of the disk (assuming I'm reading the output correctly) ??

Like I say, I'm new to all thgings FreeBSD/Linux, so any detailed help would be very welcome :-)

Uname output
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0

Dmesg
Ugen4.2: <JMicron> at usbus4
Umass0: <MSC Bulk-Only Transfer> on usbus4
Umass0 : SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks =0x000
Umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
Da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus0 target 0 lun 0
Da0: <Samsung S2 Portable > Fixed Direct Access SCSI-2 Device
Da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
Da0: 476940MB (976773168 512 byte sectors: 255H 63X/T 60801C)

Fdisk /dev/da0

Parameter extracted from in-core disklabel are:
Cylinders=60801 heads=255 sectors/track=63 ( 16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won’t work with BIOS for partitions not in cycl 1 paramters to be used for BIOS calculations are cylineders=60801 heads=255 sctors/track=63 ( 16065 blks/cyls)

Media sector size is 512
Warning BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is :
Sysid 165 (0xa5) , (FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
Start 63, size 976768002 (476937 Meg), flag 80 (active)
Beg: cyl 0 / head 1 / sector 1
End: cyl 384 / head 254 / sector 63
The data for partition 2 is
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is
<UNUSED>

Bsdlabel /dev/da0

No valid label found