View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2008
Package Pilot

Default It could happen to you...

Hey guys, I wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder

Yesterday there was an update available to dovecot. Now normally (at least on my prod box) I woudn't blindly install updates. However yesterday I must have been feeling particularly randy, and decided to go ahead and do it. No big deal right?

Well first off, when I get home, open my laptop, and guess what... can't connect to pop3 server. Hmm... alright, no big deal. When the port was upgraded dovecot was most likely stopped, and probably just didn't restart. Sure enough, dovecot wasn't running. So I started it.

Then more error messages: Unknown user when trying to log in using a virtual mail domain. Hmm... what on earth...

Anyways, to make a long story short, I had to add an extra value to the "args=" section of my dovecot.conf to get my particular setup of virtual email domains working.

So the moral of this story... Always, ALWAYS, ALWAYS approach software updates cautiously. Normally I do, but for whatever reason yesterday I didn't really think twice about it. Murphy's law, huh? Luckily, this prod box isn't really "prod" yet and was just hosting a few internal domains. Phew. But still... imagine now if I had customers wondering why they couldn't get their email?