Thread: LPD printing
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st December 2014
ISO Quartermaster

So, you also have the ppd for your printer. (I also, at one point, tried generating a ppd at openprinting.org and using that with cups to create the printer. That didn't work either. I am able to print
pdfs with lp whatever.pdf without problem--actually, IIRC, that's doing better than it does on Linux, where I think I often wound up with postscript gibberish, and wound up using evince (on a CentOS-6.6 desktop-cum-server).

Not sure if it will be useful to put my own printcap file but in case it might help someone else--almost all taken directly from the links I gave earlier.

/etc/printcap
Code:
lp:\
	:lp=:\
	:sh:\
	:mx#0:\
	:rm=192.168.1.51:\
	:rp=raw:\
	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
	:if=/usr/local/libexec/ps2pcl:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-err:
Again, I followed wblock's instructions for creating /var/spool/lpd/lp and an error log file, and used the Handbook's suggested enscript file. For that I installed the port print/enscript-letter (as I'm in the US, usually using letter size paper) and the /usr/local/libexec/enscript script just reads
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/enscript -o -
At work, where we have a Kyocera multifunction, however, I use cups and a ppd file that I found somewhere, which I haven't been able to find since, so if I've reinstalled, or installed to another machine, I just copy over the original ppd file. I think I got it from their site, but I really don't remember.

NOTE: See my later post--originally the if line was for enscript, however, in fooling around it seems that it requires that script of Warren's that converts from postscript to pcl.

Both work and the home machines are running FreeBSD-10.1. I also have an HP multifunction here, (at home) that I only use as scanner. I think I used hplip to get that working, haven't set it up though with the newer installs. Maybe I'll try tomorrow if I have time.

Last edited by scottro; 21st December 2014 at 11:44 PM.