View Single Post
Old 21st November 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamil View Post
PulseAudio currently isn't buildable on: Atari Amiga and VAX. You can install it on Sparc64.

You need a different mixer for these platforms. For example you can play with libao on Atari and Amiga.
That was a point I was trying to make. If NetBSD is priding itself as being most portable OS wouldn't it make sense to have a simple native NetBSD sound server which would work out of box on all 56 architectures you guys claim to support? Once you start bringing things like PulseAudio and even worse cross compiling everything on amd64 one honestly has to ask what does NetBSD have to offer? This is the question Charles Hannum asked 2006 and Julio Merino repeated 2013. NetBSD had and still has few jams in its disposal: regression testing tools, WAPBL, Xen Dom0, NPF, it was first one to have time 64 even though everyone things it was OpenBSD to be the first, 64-bit support on ARM and maybe something that I forgot. However even those are very little known outside the project. In the recent series of interviews with NetBSD and OpenBSD developers done by that Polish guy the most noticeable difference between two camps was the following.
Not a single NetBSD developer use NetBSD in her/his day job. On the another hand the livelihood of every interviewed OpenBSD developer depends on the OpenBSD and it was in most cases the only OS they use at work. That is scary. How do you expect other people like me who run UNIX for living to use NetBSD when people who are core developers are not using it at work?

I know I am over the top again. I am going to shut up. Admins don't have to ban me again.

Last edited by Oko; 23rd November 2015 at 05:02 AM.