View Single Post
Old 12th October 2018
Port Guard

If you get the latest pinxi, you'll see the memory issue on the Info: line is corrected. I'm surprised you're not getting an error there, you should be in inxi since that fix is not in inxi yet, just pinxi.

But I see failures, more actually, for example, inxi failed to grab the disk total size from dmesg.boot, as you can see: Local Storage: total: N/A

This is I assume either a data syntax change or a permissions issue on dmesg.boot.

The process of trying to extract usable data from dmesg.boot and sysctl is far more random and haphazard than it should be, these are NOT consistently key value pairs, they are far too often basically sentences that tend to contain certain structures (that's where disk size comes from, for example), which I am fully aware can and often do change at any time. The lack of consistent key value pair data in the core sources is one of the biggest challenges I face trying to support the BSDs, and it's honestly one of the ones most surprising to me given the general use and role of the BSDs, where you would expect such data to be readily available for machine parsing.

As an example, I don't even use dmesg data at all in GNU/Linux data because it's simply too unreliable (since it contains all mesg data, not just the boot, a single kernel oops can dump all the boot data from the output, making it useless)

Last edited by h2; 12th October 2018 at 11:26 PM.