View Single Post
Old 28th January 2009
Port Guard

Default Solved: Upgrading KDE3.5 to KDE4.1

Thanks for the good suggestion. I created a new user. In the process, I copied an few dot-files from my home to the new user's home. Each of the copied dot-files needed to be checked for user-specific commands. In .bashrc I found:
Code:
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local
For the new user, I cut it from .bashrc, pasted it into .xinitrc and edited to read
Code:
export KDEDIRS=/usr/local/kde4
startkde4
That seemed to work just fine. The session variable DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS was defined.

I didn't see anything suspicious in the auto-start directories you mentioned - I checked there first. And as noted, both HAL and DBUS were up & running.

Either I didn't see mention of environment variable KDEDIRS in the upgrading directions, or didn't pay close enough attention, but it seems that was the culprit.

For the time being , I'll have an .xinitrc4.1 and .xinitrc3, each exporting an appropriate KDEDIRS. And I'll manually rename to .xinitrc depending on which release I want at the time.

nepomukservicestub core dumped for the new user in 4.1.4. Not sure if that's a major problem..

Kontact mail & calendar configurations aren't automatically copied from version 3.5.10 to 4.1.4. It may require manual work. That's my next objective. If anyone has a shortcut/easier way, I'm all ears.. If not, no prob :-)

Kopete still not connecting to Yahoo for some reason, though in 3.5.10 it works fine. Maybe my firewall is too restrictive. I see a blocked attempt from a yahoo server originating on port 80 to one of my high ports with flags 0x12. Not sure if that is messing up new kopete.