View Single Post
Old 4th April 2011
Wannabe OpenBSD porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmemo View Post
why OpenBSD for the desktop while you do not have an old machine or a slow one, and you do know that OpenBSD's security do not imply on it's 3rd party apps either the binary ones or those via ports.
I use OpenBSD on the desktop primarily because it is rock solid stable and for everything I want to do on a desktop, OpenBSD has an answer. You don't know the kind of Zen that can be achieved as a Unix Administrator running cwm and tmux. (I suppose the same could be achieved with say, fluxbox and screen on Linux (I used to run fluxbox until recently when the weight of Administration in my company moved from Windows to Unix...it was just easier to run a script over our server spreadsheet that generated a fluxbox menu file of rdesktop commands), but to get things "just right" on Linux I end up running something like Gentoo or HLFS...and that just doesn't work in a corporate environment because I can't take 4 hours off just to build my desktop). I'm exceptionally picky, I suppose...

My biggest complaint is latency. When I run a program, I fully expect that program to WORK right this very INSTANT. I don't want to wait 5 seconds...or 2 seconds...or even 1/2 a second. I expect results now (this is why I run mostly command-line). Sure, you can make a command-line program take 5+ seconds to respond, but it's not as easy to achieve with CLI as with a GUI. Getting a gtk+ or qt program to lag is child's play. Doing the same with an ncurses or purely CLI program is much harder, especially if you have a decent machine.

I'm an impatient prick...that's why I use OpenBSD.