View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th December 2011
New User

Default disk mgt and zfs

Hello guys, i have just taken over my first freeBSD installations and i have been asked to free a disk array. For some reason its starting to become a hassle so im jumping the short fence now asking you guys for some help as i have already wasted hours with deadends and system failures.

I have copied the content to my new disk and would like to remount the old one to data_old/ so i can mount the new one under /data/.

The old disk is managed with zfs the new one with unix, fstab.

To bring the changes about i would add the new disk to fstab, bring the system to single user mode export and import the zpool data to data_old, mount -a and bring the system online again.

(One time mount -a rebooted the machine!)

This did not work sine zfs is not startet in single user mode leaving me with to questions,

how do i go to single user mode without reboot?
how do make the system start zfs in single user mode?

How would you guys come about the task in general?
I see some posibilities in changing the zfs start up mount mapping instead of the zpool rename and let the running zfs automount config fix the rest, but cant really figure out how and nothing seems to be working while zfs partitions are in use anyways.

thanks in advange and sorry for the many things i could proberly read up on and will but for now i really just want this job done :/