View Single Post
Old 29th July 2013
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muflon View Post
I don't know If I understand you correctly but, if you want to make window edges easier to identify, You can type in .cwmrc; these or other set of colours, and borderwith [in cwm default border is 1 pixel wide]:
borderwidth 3
color activeborder blue
color inactiveborder darkblueidentify
Thanks, I must not have been clear, but you've helped me anyway. I wanted no border at all because my mouse cursor would land there when I tried to give focus to the topmost tag of the acme window (the idea of the infinitely tall menu as explained in 2a of this link: http://teresi.us/html/writing/mac_vs_windows.html). Of course, the simple way to accomplish this is to set borderwidth to 0 in cwmrc, which your post made me realize. Always my first thought is to overcomplicate things. If losing the border flash UI feedback when I group windows confuses me I can always revisit the idea of messing with the code, but I doubt I'll miss it. Most of my regularly used programs autogroup now. I haven't manually grouped anything since starting to use acme, in fact. Most of my manual grouping had been to distinguish different xterms from each other. But acme displaces much of my use of xterms. Hopefully one day it will displace all of it. Or I could start using tmux more, but that seems really awkward after using acme a while.

As far as the part of this thread dealing with mouseless WMs, I recall myself conflating the idea of bloat and mouse based UIs. I wonder if some are making the same mistake, or if it's only preference difference. Rob Pike's acme paper is a good cure for mouse hatred, IMO.

Now, cwm is usable without the mouse, I think, having keybindings for most things you need to do. But I have to wonder why someone would want vi key commands to move or size windows unless their mouse were broken. Best thing of course is to settle on a window layout and use geometry arguments to get things situated automatically. Or use a tiling wm, I guess. But there always seem to be programs with UIs that defeat the tiling wms. Recent versions of cwm do have a command inspired by tiling wms, btw, though I never use it myself.