View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th May 2008
Arp Constable

There is not much you can do about the iTunes music store part, short of buying it and half the music industry that is.

As far as media players go, I've used many.... I'm also very highly demanding of software I use often (web browsers, text editors, media players, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirbo View Post
If this wasn't the off-topic section, I wouldn't think to say:

"But can you really compare iTunes to Amarok"?

I've used both, in fact I tried iTunes 7 before I found Amarok in my search for a replacement for XMMS.

In retrospect based on my experiences with both?

iTunes can suck a dead goats b****ks compared to Amarok.

I threw out iTunes after the first few days of using it, Amarok lasted almost a year until I went back to XMMS.

I've used many different media players, Amarok, Helix Player, Itunes, Kaffeine, MPlayer (including gmplayer, kplayer, kmplayer, smplayer, and mpui front ends), Media Player Classic, MediaMonkey, RealPlayer, SongBird, VLC (formally VideoLANClient), Windows Media Player, WinAmp, XMMS, I also tried Rhythmbox and Totem briefly but didn't have time to play.

The single best I've found is MPlayer with Amarok, VLC, XMMS/Winamp, and WMP taking the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th places respectfully -- the rest just fall to short in my book.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.