View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2008
ISO Quartermaster

Well, let me put it this way. On Fedora forums, which has over 100,000 members, they're rather strict on it. The forum actually has software that's beyond control. I tried to write, in romaji, the word ashita and it came out as
a***ta.

Yet, while people sometimes disagree with threads getting closed and the like, I've not seen one complaint on those forums about obscenity being censored.

It does seem that the people who use it most are coming from some Linux forums, where apparently it's OK. However, I haven't seen it on Fedora forums--I believe Ubuntu's rules also prohibit it, and that's probably the busiest forum of all. I don't recollect seeing much, if any, on the ArchLinux forums either.

Most forums actually seem to police themselves, so to speak--before the spam started, I don't recollect seeing much, if any, of the f word or s word on bsdforums either.

Anyway, it's simply a thought. I see that phoenix has already suggested to one user that they tone down their obscenity, so perhaps it isn't just me.