View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2008
Arp Constable

What's so surprising anemos? The Windows socket api was modeled on the sockets api from BSD, there are differences but it's /close enough/ in many ways.

You include winsock.h instead of a mish mash of headers, which is nice imho. s/errno/WSAGetLastError()/g and a few other related pains on error handling... but livable. The windows socket api and 'spawn.*()' family of functions are probably the high points of working with a windows machine. Sockets programming is basically sockets programming, but it's only part of what you can do on a unix box, the rest... well that's when it can really become a royal pain in the keester to port an app to windows IMHO, and still have fun in the process.

The 2nd edition of 'Advanced programming in the UNIX environment' is on amazon for about $50-$65 between used and new at the moment, but the list price is $80 !!! You can get a look at the table of contents and some previews here. This book looks like it's worth even $150 if you ask me. Also if you're not prepared to use manual pages, google, standards documents, and existing programs instead of buying this sucker, I think anyone is going to really want this book if they are learning to write programs on a unix box in C.

Dang... now I wish I had it on my bookshelf, it would be a time saver lol.

Looking at the foreward, it sounds like most of the changes are basically updates to do with the changing times, e.g. new(er) posix/sus, c99, also sounds like the 2nd edition might be a good idea if you work as a programmer (I don't, and I'm a cheap bastard too), dealing with linux or *bsd systems a lot. But the 1st edition would probably be fine for many people, if they can't or won't pay for the 2nd edition.

If I had the cash to go spending on programming books, I'd deffo nab most of these books, then by a larger bookshelf....
My Journal

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.