View Single Post
Old 27th October 2008
Arp Constable

Eh, not to butt in or anything (Point of fact, I'd rather not be involved in this thread.), but have either of you actually dug into a *real* audio API, and tried to write sound related programs? Particularly with the audio systems being referenced in this thread...

If not, I don't think their is much point in discussing it beyond ideological differences or personal opinions of what shade of paint to use for it. If the software we use everyday works on OpenBSD without pain, alls good, until we have to touch the programs code in order to maintain the ports ourselves. If it's still painless, should that day ever come -- hoorah. I generally don't do audio, since I'm not skilled at creating good sound files. But I know this, if I was going to create a program that relied upon sound, I would likely use a library that abstracts the interfaces being used; and fall back on things that are generally portable /enough/ whenever that is not sufficient.

The sound system that OpenBSD uses, who gives a flying crap? The only people who should care are the people who have to work with it. I recognized the possibility that I may have just stuck my foot in my mouth, considering both of you... but I have a point no? If the OpenBSD developers are happy, and users don't get screwed in the deal, whats the whole point of this discussion?

Unless y'all are involved in either the Open Sound System, Linux Advanced Sound Architecture, or the various *BSD related audio implementations (oss based or not), or make use of the APIs they provide regularly in code, I honestly don't see anything here but a waste of breath.

If I've pissed anyone off, sorry :-P

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.