View Single Post
Old 16th October 2016
ISO Quartermaster

So, several months later, thought I'd post an update. On a quiet Saturday, after latest FreeBSD versions still wouldn't work with this machine's Haswell Intel Video, gave OpenBSD another try. I wasn't able to stop those messages, but I was able to install anyway, as they were more or less rhythmic--I could type in an answer (for much of it I took defaults), let it do its thing, then do my thing.

This was on a snapshot--it's called install60.fs but it's from the snapshots directory.

After installation, though one gets those aggravating messages on vty1 I can just go to vty2 and log in. X seems to work fairly well--sometimes mouse clicks didn't seem to work but I do almost everything by keyboard. Using my usual .Xdefaults with Xft.dpi:180 and a terminus font size of 12 (all described on my yoga2 page, but taken from the ArchLinux wiki), made everything readable. Sound worked, (though using mpv gave me issues till I changed /dev/drm0 from 700 to 770--group is wheel, and I'm in it.

The wireless works but not on a hidden wpa network. I'm surprised at that--with FreeBSD and Linux, one adds a scan_ssid=1 to a wpa_supplicant.conf file, not sure how one does something like that with OpenBSD. (Yeah, I know it doesn't do much, if any, good, but that's how I set it up a long time ago--it's easily briefly changed too.)
I assume I could get it going with wpa_supplicant if I had a real need for it.

So, all in all, pretty much a success. I just used openbox on it with urxvt, and tried firefox and mpv playing a video, but while I wish I could figure out what boot -c command would stop those messages, even if I don't go into X, it's easily avoided by just going to the second virtual console.