View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd May 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonfowl View Post
should I just comment out lines in /etc/daily...
daemonfowl, I suspect you are seeing in the responses received thus far that a series of poor decisions are being made, and continuing down this path is going to lead to even larger problems.

You need to take a step back, & consider better alternatives. You also need to identify the core problem.

I have no idea how big this hard drive is, but allocating 19GB to a partition for /tmp seems inordinately large. Maybe this comes from the automatic partitioning the installer chose, or maybe this comes from choices you manually made. Section 4.6.4 of the FAQ will give some ideas to how much space should be allocated, however, there can be a huge debate over what size any particular partition needs to be. The true answer comes with identifying usage patterns & adjust sizes in the next fresh install to fit the use of the system, but a recommendation jggimi frequently makes is to just make one large partition for the entire system until you have a better idea as to how much space needs to be allocated for multiple partitions.

/tmp should not be used for storage. Yes, the eradication of /tmp at each boot-up can be changed, but the use case this addresses is situations where either erasing consumes too much time, or erasing adversely affects the lifetime of the media. I can only guess that you don't have space elsewhere for whatever you are storing, & so you have starting using /tmp as a poor, but expedient substitute.

The simple fact is that you need to back up your files & do a fresh install, changing the partition sizes to either one huge partition, or adjust the sizes to better values until you have a better perspective as to that the new adjustment needs to be.

Don't think you are going to get this right in one pass. You won't. Nobody does. But you should be developing practices where you can back up & start again with lessening pain. As an anecdote, I have spent weekends where I have done nothing but reinstall again & again, but usually this has been to tweak install.site scripts which addresses both partition sizes & disaster plans.

As a final comment & suggestion, if you don't like the idea of simply creating one huge partition, another alternative is to not allocate all space -- especially is the drive is large in size. As denta is suggesting, leaving free space available gives you the ability to add partitions later. If all the space on a drive is allocated, there is no room for growth.