View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Kienja

Yes, I think I would have to do this in single user mode. That should make the root partition no longer a problem because the system can do its usual boot without the root partition. Because ZFS does not have boot support yet, the only way around that is to keep a UFS partition with all of the needed information to do a successful boot without the ZFS partition.

I might end up doing this using a FreeBSD install disk anyway because I have empty space in front of my root partition and behind my ZFS partition. I have no desire to enlarge the root partition, so I will have to copy the partition and then recreate it at the front of the disk. Then I will have to delete and recreate the swap partition, and then I would be able to enlarge the ZFS partition both to the right and to the left of the disk.

ephemera, I think your method makes more sense when using ZFS, but I have some questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemera
3. change the 'c' partition to the new size.
4. add a new partition to use up the extra space
5. add this new partition to the zfs pool (zpool add).
I actually do not have a c partition.
boot: ar0s2a
swap: ar0s2b
ZFS (Everything else): ar0s2d

Therefore, I suppose by the c partition you just mean the ZFS partition?

If I understand this correctly, after enlarging the ZFS partition, I would then create a new ZFS pool to fill the empty space within the enlarged parition. Then I could merge that new ZFS pool with the all ready existant one, which would leave me with a partition completely filled by the ZFS filesystem. Whew! I suppose that should work, but I wonder how I am going to tell ZFS the exact location within the partition to begin and end the new pool. I will have to look into some documentation on ZFS's tools.