View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th November 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joostvgh View Post
1. I don't even know what the ports tree is. Reading FAQ 15 did not even look familiar to something I did. I downloaded the software several times, from different locations (openbsd ftp, libiconv homepage, and finally source forge).
You officially now have a Frankensystem.

Most of the code found in the wild is not written in a generic POSIX style & increasing is Linux-specific. Even the filesystem layout between Linux, OS X, & the various members of the *BSD family are different. Most code found in the wild does not take this into consideration.

Likewise, the libraries expected & common in one environment are most likely not the same between environments.

Yes, one can grab code from about the Internet & port it to OpenBSD, but this takes time, knowledge, & experience. Some projects can be simple to port; others aren't.
Quote:
When I downloaded these files I had to run './configure', 'make', 'make install', but the first 10 the make failed because of 'undefined reference to libiconv'.
It failed most likely between the code & scripts expected things in either different locations or they simply weren't to be found at all.
Quote:
I googled this error 100 times but did not come any close to an answer...
When it comes to OpenBSD, it is best to stay with information found within the project -- manpages, mailing lists, & FAQ.
Quote:
I just read FAQ 15.4.1 and FAQ 5 (skimmed).
Going back to jggimi's original response, the project advocates that users use the pre-compiled packages already created by the project's port maintainers. The grief you are going through now has already been resolved by others.
Quote:
I installed openbsd from the cd, release 4.6.
Be aware that OpenBSD 4.8 was officially released as of 1 November 2010. You may want to consider backing up whatever is of importance & start fresh.