View Single Post
Old 31st March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roydd85 View Post
I rebooted and it seemed like it connected but I received this message:
Warning: /etc/hostname.urtwn0 is insecure fixing permissions

What the heck does this mean?
If you were able to create a file in /etc, you were most likely doing so either through su(1) or sudo(8) (which is preferred...). The permissions of the file were probably rwxr-xr-x which mirrors the permissions on the directory. However to keep common user accounts from messing with interface configurations inadvertently (or maliciously...), the system upon boot will set the configuration used to rw-r----- & output the message quoted above.

This is expected behavior.

Recognize that if you will be connecting to the same access point, using a hostname.if(5) file is acceptable, but if you will be using multiple access points, you will need modify this file accordingly (& reboot or issue netstart...) or connect manually.
Quote:
I sent a ping request to my router and it is receiving/returning the packets and I pinged Google and it also receive/sends the packets.
If the output of ifconfig(8) shows that an IP address has been assigned to this interface, & ping(8) to a domain name succeeds, you have reasonable assurance that DHCP & DNS has been configured correctly.