View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2010
Spam Deminer

Alright, so here are my experiences from the last 6 months.

NetBSD 5.0.2... The DRM device attached to both my radeon x850 and my x1900. None of the HD cards were detected by the radeon drm. Direct rendering only actually worked on the x850. On the x1900, I got some "out of memory" error in the xorg log file as I recall. No one replied to my questions about it on the NetBSD mailing lists.

OpenBSD 4.6... 2D and 3D acceleration worked on the x850 and x1900. oga provided patches to me (hopefully in 4.7) to support 2D acceleration via the DRM on HD cards and this worked fine, giving me EXA and Xv support. 3D was not yet supported on the HD cards.

FreeBSD -stable (and -current)... Using the latest ports tree, 2D and 3D acceleration works on all radeon GPUs up to and including the HD4950. On x86, I'm even able to play ut2004 (via linux compat) on everything from the x850 to an HD4850. The 3D DRM code is not available on 8.0-RELEASE. The intel driver should support 2D and 3D acceleration on all GPUs up to the i965, though I have limited experience with that.

DragonFlyBSD... I don't remember the version, but it was the latest code in git. 2D acceleration is supported on all radeons up to and including the HD4950. 3D acceleration should work on those same GPUs, but for HD cards it does require a newer version of Mesa than is currently available in pkgsrc.

Of course, any of those could have changed by now :-)

Adam