View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th June 2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdm View Post
Does Rexx take long to learn?
Given your exposure to other languages, you shouldn't experience an undue learning curve. Rexx is similar in syntax to Modula-2 or Ada -- in other words, Pascal-ish.

Rexx comes from the IBM world circa 1970s' - '80's. As I recall, it was developed in the branch office in England, & proliferated to the point of becoming IBM's glue language used on all supported platforms. Flexible? Yes, but I don't think it ever gained much traction outside of the IBM world. In fact, I haven't heard much about Rexx ever since OS/2 faded into the sunset.

There are a number of tutorials which can be found online; one place to begin is Wikipedia's article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexx

One of the more concise implementations of Tic-Tac-Toe I saw in one of Cowlishaw's books, but if I am recalling correctly, this wasn't necessarily due to anything inherent to Rexx, it simply was a nice, short implementation.
Quote:
I was half considering scouting around for a new scripting language...
While Rexx has been ported to a number of (non-IBM) environments, I don't see an OpenBSD port. I also have no idea as what would be required to see one of the existing implementations to run on OpenBSD.