View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd December 2014
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
The keyboard and mouse of my desktop machine do not function at times when you reboot from a Linux OS to OpenBSD.
That's odd, since a boot should reset peripheral states. Did you ever report the problem?
Quote:
If you are rebooting from Debian or ArchLinux to OpenBSD on the same hard disk drive, you will encounter problems with OpenBSD's file system.
I don't understand the statement, because on such systems, OpenBSD's filesystems are managed separately, within a unique MBR partition. Perhaps you could clarify?
Quote:
Though OpenBSD, Debian and ArchLinux are classified as "Unix-like" OSes, OpenBSD's file system and its method of calculating and apportioning sectors and cylinders are unique.
You are correct that OpenBSD is one of the BSD operating systems, it is not Linux, and it has a very different history. Linux isn't Unix either.

AT&T's Unix and the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) which spawned from it both predate the IBM PC and its MBR partitioning schema. OpenBSD runs on 23 computing architectures today, but only 5 of those use MBRs. So it needs something other than MBR partitions for storage management, and it continues to use the disklabel system devised before MBRs came into existence.

The fdisk(8) program used on MBR architectures allows the admin to use LBA addressing (sector numbers) or Cylinder/Head/Sector (CHS) addressing, because some older systems require the latter, they cannot use LBA addressing. There's nothing unique about CHS addressing for fixed-block-architecture disk drives, it's been around for many decades, even though for the last 20+ years, CHS values have been artificial.
Quote:
There is a noticeable degradation in performance of the hard disk drive if you dual-boot, triple-boot or quadruple-boot with OpenBSD and other distros.
I don't understand how this is possible. The OS is just data on the drive. Having OpenBSD on the disk couldn't degrade your Linux performance. It's just a collection of some ones and zeroes.

If instead, you mean, "OpenBSD's disk performance sucks compared to any other OS," then at least I could guess that Soft Updates have not been enabled, and I would recommend enabling them (FAQ 14.6); they are a huge performance boost for the BSD Fast File System that OpenBSD uses. Soft Updates are not enabled by default, because OpenBSD has some architectures that cannot use them.
Quote:
I have a piece of advice for you: Do not ever dream of offering suggestions on how to improve the installer. I have done it before and been flamed. To the developers, the installer is super-perfect. You can't improve on perfection, can you?
I think you should re-read some of the responses in your Installer GUI thread. I just did. I hope my responses to you were not taken as "flame". I tried to set reasonable expectations, and was not trying to upset you. If I did, I apologize.

Last edited by jggimi; 2nd December 2014 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarity.