View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd November 2008
Arp Constable

There is no concept of a "default shell" beyond the programs you use to automate the process of adding new users, such as in adduser.conf and pw.conf to set defaults for adduser/pw. Looking at the adduser script, I would think pardoning setting a default shell in their configuration files, that adduser defaults to /bin/sh and I've no time to hunt down what my beloved pw defaults to if anything.

In fact, /sbin/init defaults to /bin/sh for single user mode.

Once upon a time, the C Shell was considered more usable for interactive work then the original Bourne Shell. Things like job control, command history, aliases - which eventually became ubiquitous through csh. The by modern standards, the tcsh is much better then the /bin/sh on FreeBSD, which is closer to the SVR4 Bourne Shell then what you would find on earlier research unix or bsd unix systems. The original C shell was also a BSD thing, so go figure...

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.

Last edited by TerryP; 3rd November 2008 at 08:14 PM.