View Single Post
Old 13th June 2011
Package Pilot

Quote:
Bashrules means that you (or the software) may have created your slices as 1 > 3 > 2 in that order
Quote:
Bashrules' observation still holds.
Yes it does as long as we agree that he was referring to PARTITIONS and not SLICES. If he had went into details it would have take an entire chapter to explain (but a little more could have been added from a New User to a known noob). Ok...

I had no sleep myself, but with this tip and Bashrules' quick note I think there something good that I can added. By right it should take me days but I'll do my best over night. You can fill in the missing pieces and lock it down once and for all. Thank you so much. See you guys during regular hours

Quote:
It's the other way around. The data transfer rate is higher in the outer cylinders compared to the inner ones since they contain more sectors.
Now I got a better clue, but please which way is outer and which way is inner based from the center circle. I already told you guys I never got that understanding but no one said NADA yet other that the word to tease me maybe. Please tell me what you think now so I can help ensure my findings or be to chicken to say in fear of being wrong or silly.

jggimi, I think I heard something like that before. It really get down to the hardware and bytes, like dumping the OS and running off on it's own, FOR-REAL. That's what I think dd really do, and now I think I see the light of the speed difference if some one know tell me the true rule of inner and outer. The most important part of the question that may solve all.

Quote:
The dd examples given at the top of this thread are using cooked devices, rather than raw. This may have an impact in FBSD, skewing the results.
First chance you get could you show me the command line for raw device so I can understand the difference.

Thanks

Last edited by sharris; 13th June 2011 at 06:22 PM.