View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th July 2008
Arp Constable

Hmm, Java ....

Design wise I like Java very much. Relationship wise? Ehhh I don't think I can actually say that here... haha.

I'm mostly indifferent to the question of single or multiple inheritance -> I just don't care. So that part of Java doesn't really effect me, I however love Javas interfaces quite a lot. Maybe because I'm not a big OOP man, I really like the idea of a "you implement the entire interface or I'll spit on your grave" concept in Java.

To me, OOP is just one syntactic way of doing the right thing not a requirement for good design.

I think Java is a very fine language but I don't actually like to write in it !!!

Code:
    IEspeciallyHateLongNames likeThis = new IEspeciallyHateLongNames(KillTheCoderNow);

WhenThis is = new WhenThis(asReadable);

The former is how to much of the Java code I've read looks (without to many exaggerations) and I find it aesthetically 'annoying' to say the least...

Especially if they pump the code full of thick identifiers that will go out of scope a few lines later and are barely used, just because they can use up 70-90% of a line for nothing.

How Java handles exceptions, I dislike having to work with it but feel it is better then the alternatives.

Things that I generally dislike about Java? Probably occasional javac'isms that are not necessarily part of Java but make their way into tools for it and become general facts of life with the language.

Not to mention how long it can take to compile or start some Java apps compared to doing similar stuff via Python or C++.

Maybe using a lot of scripting languages out of lack of time and having 2GB of RAM on one machine has made me less of a patient person about waiting on programs to become usable.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.