View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Default How to Crash my FreeBSD server - run portsdb

So, in a vain attempt to upgrade Transmission I have utterly destroyed it instead. It's currently deinstalled, and when I try to install it from ports it get errors and when I try to install the package it downloads the tbz and just stops at that point.

Sigh.

So I figured I should try to learn more about updating ports, since obviously I blew it pretty badly. I was using the information here:

http://www.freebsdwiki.org/index.php/Portupgrade

to try and get everything up-to-date. Well, the issue I have is that when I run the portsbd -Uu command, it locks up my system. I'm not sure exactly at what point, it does start the process. I haven't done it from the console, just a SSH session from work. At some point after I issue the command and it starts the process, I lose all connectivity, and when I get home the box is unresponsive and I have nothing (no display, can't get Num Lock key to light on/off, etc.) and I have to power down manually.

So, I'm curious about how I've managed to destroy the Transmission port so effectively, and of course how I am breaking my machine by running portsdb. Are there specific log files to look into to dig a little deeper on this stuff?

Thanks.