View Single Post
Old 29th August 2017
OpenBSD language porter

I don't understand this thread at all.

I for one would welcome an outside effort to provide a siteXX.tgz that would set up one of the big three DMs (Gnome/KDE/Xfce) and a bunch of other "expected" applications: LibreOffice, VLC, Gimp, git, python, go, a bunch of games, etc. and some config file tweaks to make it all nice and "just work." Sure, it'd end up with a smorgasbord of licenses, GPL included, but since it's not part of the base system, who cares? It's not contaminating anything. And the user would have to go out of their way to intentionally install it. Or, you can roll your own for your own private installs and have it all set up for you at install time. Oh, and having clean cvs checkouts of the src, ports, and xenocara trees so new users can get started right away writing patches would be a positive.

But really, having a signified siteXX.tgz that a user can download and run
Code:
doas tar xvzfp -C / siteXX.tgz
might well be something nice for new users or people looking to get into ports development, seeing as there are a whole lot of existing ports that could use some love, and it would more quickly identify new ports that users want (and maybe they'll even get started rolling their own ports and updating existing ones). And a great way to discover which ones need love and which ones need to be added is to use a whole lot of stuff and see what needs you have.

As long as it doesn't take away from developer resources, I don't see the problem here at all. The main downside would be tracking -current, but that's where new ports get developed so that's the way it is.