View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2010
Port Guard

I read that post and yes, it looks similar.
While customizing kernel config file (renamed /sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC) I only commented out "makeoptions DEBUG=-g" and all the "witness/malloc" options and removed all the drivers for hardware I don't have. I also limited a number of modules to build having in /etc/make.conf the line
Code:
MODULES_OVERRIDE=acpi linux linprocfs sound/sound sound/driver/hda zfs opensolaris
BTW I believe that file NOTES itself in no way affects kernel, why remove it?

Having FreeBSD 8-STABLE on another HDD (ufs) I'm still trying to fix somehow my problem with ZFS. Indeed my lack of ZFS knowledge is bad helper
On the other hand I did just nothing (except reading file UPDATING) before updating scr and rebuilding world and kernel.

I used to have another problem with -CURRENT: after particular update I couldn't build any software at all only packages could be installed. I returned to previous snapshot and it worked fine. I tried several times with the same result. Some time passed and problem was gone: I guess developers eliminated it finally.
I believe our current problem will disappear too after some time but it's really interesting what could be a reason? Looks like the update "renamed" partitions (changed IDs) that's why boot goes to mountroot and lack of knowledge of ZFS makes the situation fatal.